2. All is Lost – With a group of tense films this year, I found this one to be the most anxiety inducing. Beautifully shot and acted.
3. 12 Years as a Slave- Lupita! Fassbender!
4. Gravity –My Grandma told me that this movie made her decide that she never wants to go to space.
5. Spectacular Now – What Perks of Being a Wallflower wanted to be.
6. The Conjuring- Scary! The only movie since Mystic Pizza were I haven’t hated Lili Taylor.
7. Inside Llewyn Davis
8. Wolf of Wall Street-
9. Man of Steel- Michael Shannon as Zod. I don’t understand the backlash. People need to rewatch Superman Returns (aka Passion of Christ) if they hate this.
10. Captain Phillips- –I saw this movie with an active commentary from an 80 year old Boston lady: “Jeesus Christ! Those Pirates!”
11. Don Jon: While I thought ScarJo was the weakest part of Her, she was great in this. The movie tails off at the end, but I’m sure everyone knows someone who says his prayers while working on their abs (Karp).
**Ain’t Them Bodies Saints: This will probably make the list, but I am in the middle of watching it.
Worst Films of 2013
2. Star Trek: Into Darkness- Trying to turn Star Trek into an action franchise is dumb. What a waste of Cumberbatch.
3. About Time: This is like a visual anti-depressant and is beautifully shot. Somehow Rachel McAdams has begun to be cast as the “awkward frump.” Richard Curtis made a time travel movie that somehow has no conflict, but lots of Love Actually-style footage of anonymous people in London being happy.
Domhnall Gleeson (Son of Brendan--look up his awesome Wikipedia photo! [ed: pictured, right]) does not do anything remotely interesting/controversial with his powers. Even nice guys would want to go back and make money gambling or something remotely interesting. He even turns down sex with Margot Robbie!